2006 Acura TL
There are 5 user reviews for the 6-Spd MT w/ Performance Tires trim shown below
- Handling, reliability, style, ergonomics
- HP, no mp3 player
Purchased As Used
I bought this car in 2008 w/ less than 5K miles on it (it had been on the road less than a year). It has been great, and I love ALMOST everything about it. The ergonomics and attention to detail are superb. Handling is crisp and responsive, especially since the previous owner put in an after-market sway bar and suspension system (Acura parts installed by an Acura dealership), turning it into an "S" for a fraction of the price you would pay right off the lot. Great traction in all weathers, and this car will corner like it's on rails. The ride is a pleasing compromise between handling and comfort. The trunk is spacious, and seating is adequate even in the backseat. The low-slung chassis tends to make the car "bottom out", but this is only a minor inconvenience. The factory sound system is powerful and crystal-clear. Road noise is a bit above average, but that could be my after-market exhaust system "talking". Don't spill anything on the heated leather seats, as the heat is transferred through a multitude of tiny pinholes, which are a pain to clean.
My only MAJOR complaints are:
1) Horsepower and low-end torque. For a vehicle in this class (entry level luxury/performance sedan), it's a bit underpowered: 258 HP vs., say, the Infiniti equivalent, the 2006 G35 Sedan (298 HP). The Acura is quick, but does not "get off the line" terribly well for a car that averages 18 MPG around town -- with a MT -- and requires premium fuel. Acura has fixed this, as the new (2009) TL's are more powerful: 280 HP for the base model, and 305 at the top end.
2) This is a front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicle with a manual transmission (MT). Personally, I love MT cars -- much more fun to drive, totally worth the trouble unless you spend hours in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic every day. But the combination of FWD and MT makes the steering quite difficult to control on a quick start. The wheel will literally jump out of your hands, and Lord only knows where you'll be headed if you don't know what you're doing. Once out of 1st gear, however, the car settles down and becomes as clean and crisp as you could ask. Acura offers an all-wheel drive (AWD) option for 2009, but the MT has been phased out.
3) Acura gambled, and badly, by basing the sound system around the DVD, yes the AUDIO DVD, which delivers astounding sound quality, but unfortunately (for me) never caught on. And besides, most drivers are concerned more with QUANTITY over QUALITY, especially since the road noise degrades sound quality significantly. The upshot is that the factory sound system does not include an auxillary port for an iPod or other mp3 player. The in-dash 6-disk changer also does not read data CD's, so your only options on a long road trip are either (a) lots and lots of audio CD's or (b) jacking your mp3 player into the tape deck....read morehide
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Fuel ecomonmy, good looks, well laid out inside.
- holes in leather, RATTLES, window noise, lack of storage. 91 octane
The car is beautiful and performs nicely. I love the great fuel economy but hate putting 91 octance gas in it. The thingsi do not like about the car are the quality of the leather seats and the stupid little holes in the leather always get little things inside of them. I do have rattles from time to time which is a big disapointment. Also when i have the rear windows down there is a annoying vibration that enters into the car....read morehide
3 out of 5 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- good fuel economy,great sound system, great handling.
I purchased this car in Dec 2006 and extremley happy with the car. I previously owned a Maxima and was considering a BMW 3 Series. But for the money and maint upkeep this was a great buy. Very happy in Orlando Florida.
1 out of 6 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Good fuel economy, Performance, Brakes, Sport driving
- Sound system
Absolutely no rattles, no problem at all, a perfect sport car
I bought it Feb 2006. It already has 10,000 KM. It is a wonderful car. It is the best car I had so far. I had a Jeep Grand Sherokee, Intrepid R/T, Sonata and a Mazda 3.
3 out of 10 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- 2004's have a terrible harmonic vibration
Acura is unable to repair and doesn't care about the vibration whicih affects 1-2% of their TL's. It stinks for those of us unlucky to have purchased their LEMONS.
26 out of 32 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?