2008 BMW Z4 User Reviews
Roadster 3.0si shown
- $17,956 - $20,848
- A true driver's car
- Too much road feel for most casual drivers
Purchased As New
Considering its price and that this car's suspension is tuned more for road feel and serious driving enjoyment vs. fluffy comfort, this car is probably most appropriate to those who enjoy the driving experience so much, that they are wiling to do and pay just about anything for the best they can get... and yet without completely breaking the bank. Of all the cars we looked at, this one offered the best performance for price, matching off very well against the better Porche's, but at a substantial discount and much higher trim and mechanical quality. We bought ours in late 2007 and so far:
- Have loved the comprehensive warranty, we do nothing, BMW takes good care of us
- Love the curb appeal of the car, get lots of slack jaws, not just second looks... it's unusual. You see roadsters a good bit, but the coupe is significantly more unique and beautiful, especially the rear end.
- Performance is excellent. Have the steptronic, which is fantastic, much better than standard and yet equal or better performance. 0-60 is truly more like 5.6 on a track. Cornering far better than any other BMW we have tested, loves twisty country roads. A beautiful noise at WOT!
- The Traction Control is so good, it feels as good as our 4x4 Off-Road F-150 in a downpoor!
- The non-sport mode is good if you don't want to be manually shifting in heavy traffic, an excellent way to balance performance and ease of driving.
- None of the complex or wacky non-intuitive controls built into some of the other BMW's, like the 5 and 7 series.
- Space for a full-size suitcase and more in the back with a nice privacy screen. A wonderful care for a weekend getaway in the hills!
- The Continental run-flats seem to be doing fine. Miss the spare, but that's life...
- Average 20 mpg when not using Sport (mostly city). 18-19 when using Sport mostly. Typically 26-28mpg on highway trips.
- Only issue encountered so far was failure of a cup holder, which BMW seems to add not as an afterthought, but a specific deterent to daring to bring drinks into their well-appointed interior, as if to enforce a "This is for serious driving" attitude... ;o)
- BMW has replaced a few parts of the suspension and the remote door locking mechanism themselves, as they felt these were out of spec.
- Bit of creaking from the rear right strut on cornering uphill, have not determined cause as yet.
Love this car and will probably keep it for a very long time. Expect it truly could become a very rare classic....read morehide
6 out of 6 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- This car handles like a dream..has the feel of precision..it is thrilling to drive..it backs it up
I have had this car 2 months now..and I have to go to the garage just to stare at its chiseled beauty. Aside from looking like a dream..this roadster backs up its looks..it drives like an amazing precision machine. Each time I step into it ..I am thrilled..immediately being taken away from mudane hum drum day to the thrill of my life. The stereo system is amazing..I added Sirius radio to truly make this beauty mine..I am in love !!!!! Highly recommend this vehicle..I get an average of 25.5 mpg city and highway. I have never got under 24 mpg...the certified pre-owned program is fantastic..for 30 dollars extra dollars a month added to my payment I have everything but the tires paid for until 6 yrs or 100,000 miles...what a security blanket that is...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...read morehide
42 out of 69 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Handling is fantastic. Fit and finish outstanding.
- Ride is a little harsh but this is a sports car after all!
4 years of maintance and service is hard to walk away from. You will get noticed in this car. If you like to drive something that is rare, this is the car for you.
30 out of 67 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Excellent ride, amazing speed, good gas mileage
This is my most favorite car ever. On the Interstates, other cars drive right up to me just to see the car. Several have even taken pictures of my car while we are both going over 70. Heads turn whenever my blue 2007 Montego Blue Z4 is around. Valets at nice hotels go crazy.
BMW says, "Once ya take a test drive, you want a BMW." It's true. I've had BMW's for decades. It's handling amazes people - - the way it hugs the road, has instant acceleration and great control stun people.
It's an amazing vehicle. We have the coupe - - which looks a lot better (to me) than the corvette version. Also, the trunk surprisingly holds a lot of stuff.
53 out of 87 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
This is the only practical roadster. The trunk can hold everything in a large shopping cart. Others have NO room when the top goes down. You lose no cargo space when the top is down. The top goes down so fast you can do it during a stoplight with ease. I put all season tires and it and with the traction control, I have no problems even here in Minneapolis. It makes driving fun every day!...read morehide
85 out of 148 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Engine, transmission, distinct styling, automatic top
- Worst steering feel I have ever experienced, somewhat cramped for taller individuals
Miles: 19,700. This car has above average styling and clearly sets itself apart from the hundreds of Boxters on the roads in LA. However, if Yakov Smirnoff could sum this car up in one catchy phrase, it would be "In Russia, car drives you!" This car has the worst handling I have ever experienced. Over rough roads, it is sometimes difficult to keep it in a straight line or on the road for that matter. Since most of LA freeways are in poor condition, it is a struggle to drive to work each day. Other than that, it has a great engine and transmission. Top down driving is fun. Just make sure you don...read morehide
72 out of 140 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- FUN TO DRIVE!! Tight build...won't "rattle" apart...
- With Top up, significant blind spot on passenger side...
This car ROCKS! I love driving it...makes me almost look forward to my commute home (in Houston traffic no less!) It looks sexy and powerful...Driving it is an aphrodesiac! Nimble is the perfect word for it, and with the weather down here, I have the top down practically all the time. If you tend to get claustrophobic, get this car! It's the closest you'll get to a motorcycle, but with the security/safety of a "steel cage" of a car......read morehide
86 out of 151 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- EXTREME PERFORMANCE. NIMBLE, DEFINES THE TERM "SPORTS CAR". EXTREME ATTENTION TO DETAIL.
- DON'T LEAVE YOUR TURN SIGNAL ON WHEN TURNING OFF CAR. YOUR TURN SIGNAL LIGHT WILL STAY ON.
CAR LOOKS LIKE IT WAS CARVED OUT OF MARBLE. VERY FEW WOMEN CAN PASS BY WITHOUT MAKING A POSITIVE COMMENT REGARDING THE CAR. EXTREMELY NIMBLE, MANEUVERABLE AND GREAT ACCELERATION. WILL EASILY THROW YOU BACK IN YOUR SEAT.
VERY DIFFICULT TO BACK UP WHEN TRYING TO PARK AS THE CURVES ON THE TRUNK MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO GET ANY PERSPECTIVE UNLESS YOUR TOP IS DOWN.
NOT SURE WHY THEY PUT A GLOVE BOX IN IT, AS YOU CAN ONLY PUT YOUR INSURANCE CARD IN IT AND MAYBE A PEN....read morehide
85 out of 151 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
I ordered and received a 2008 z4 3.0si. Fit and finish are perfect. Not a tool mark on engine, not a mar anywhere. Car runs like a dream, unbelievable highway car. Only down note is lack of storage. Glove box big enough for pair of gloves if placed on top of each other.
65 out of 140 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
Most Viewed New
Research A Car
Free Dealer Price Quote
Select A Make And Model
- Up to 3 certified local dealers will contact you with a price.
- Get a hassle-free deal and guaranteed savings off MSRP.
- This service is totally FREE, with no obligation to buy.
Auto Loan Rates
BMW News & Articles
BMW considering North American engine plant?
BMW may be set to expand its US operations with a new engine plant, Bloomberg reports. The Bavarian ...Read Full Review
BMW Considering M8 Supercar?
If you haven’t already noticed, BMW is on the upswing. New cars, new technology, and a loads of ne...Read Full Review
BMW raises pricing on many models
Buyers interested in a new BMW will start paying a bit more for their Ultimate Driving Machines, beg...Read Full Review
BMW Performance Team
The 2012 Olympic Games are right around the corner -- and for the athletes involved, these months ...Read Full Review
- More BMW News & Articles