2005 Land Rover LR3 User Reviews
- $9,172 - $11,819
- power, offroad capability, cargo room and comfort
- Fuel economy and 3rd row seats
this car is an excellent choice for anyone who is passionate for a true SUV. It has true offroad capability and great onroad handling and comfort. It is great for anyone wtih a lot of cargo and passengers.
4 out of 6 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Great engine, terrain response system is great, third row seat works, GPS is worth it.
- Constant system failures, numerous warning/failure lights, voice command for GPS is worthless
I previously owned a Disco II. The engine was replaced at 20K miles under warranty so I knew I was taking a chance buying a LR3. I purchased the LR3 in November and have 6500 miles of both on and off road experience. The problem I�m having is that when the vehicle gets wet or if the temperature is below 20 degrees, the LR3 electrical system goes berserk until it dries out or warms up. Land Rovers are supposed to take harsh and extreme conditions. I have had four occasions when dashboard warning lights came on or the door locks would open and close by themselves setting off the alarm system. When the dealer looked at the vehicle I was told no problem was found.
The latest issue started when I disengaged the parking brake and got a parking brake failure warning light, then other amber warning lights came on including check engine light, suspension failure light, dynamic stability control and transmission failure. In addition, the vehicle locked into access height on its own. As the vehicle dried out, the warning lights went off but the switch to manually lower and raise the vehicle has failed. I video taped this occurrence while it happened (I was parked) to provided evidence that a problem exists.
One of my biggest complaints is obtaining any responsive service. My calls are not returned by the service department in a timely manner at the three dealers I�ve contacted. Generally you leave a message and you may get a call back one to two days later. I called one dealer left a message with two service advisors 10 days ago and no call back. I even called Land Rover of North America to call them and they are still waiting for a call back!
I live in the Northern Virginia area and when I did get a call back I was told it would be 2 to 3 weeks before they could look at the vehicle. I had to go to Maryland to obtain service. The latest on my system problems is that the switch to lower and raise the vehicle was defective and was sending erroneous signals to the on-board computers, hence the error messages....read morehide
51 out of 54 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Performance, AC, Drivability, Quietness
- Gas Mileage
Driver's Seat needs more adjustment controls. Vehicle performs, and looks better than it's direct competition. DVD blocks rear view. Carpeting is too light- shows every foot mark.
4 out of 4 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- As good as expected off road, much better than expected on road
- Its no sports car!
I rented one for two weeks in California, and went from city to desert to mountains a few times. I knew it would be great off-road but was quite surprised by the quiet and comfort on road, including some high speed driving. The LR3 has less wind noise at 80 than my Lexus RX300, and certainly has more usable space.
Some of the button's functions were not immediately obvious, but after a while I found that it has all the features of a luxo suv. It also has some the others don't, such as the dial-a-surface and air suspension which moves the height significantly up (for ground clearance) and down (for garage ceiling clearance).
All in all, I was quite impressed by the vehicle and will definitely consider it when replacing my current suv....read morehide
6 out of 7 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Nice look, Good legroom for all seats, performance, off-road capability
- fuel economy, entry and exit for back seats
big bang for your buck but could be better with a DVD player. Overall it is very comfurtable and the panaramick view is amazing.
4 out of 8 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Range Rover for 30,000 less
- Difficult question - If pushed I would say gas mileage
Absolutely brilliant job, this is just about everything the old one ( Disco II) wasn't except for its off road capabilities. After 3 months with my Hse can't say I have any complaints. Good Job LR3
3 out of 4 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Civilized road handling; awesome off-road abilities
- Gas mileage not great (except compared to older Discovery) but comp to other SUVs in class
First, let me tell you why I bought this car.
1. I wanted a vehicle that can seat more than 5 people. Most SUV's and station wagons with a third row make the third row unbearable for anyone over the age of 10. This has real leg room in the third row.
2. I wanted the safety features to cover the third row. This is the only SUV that has the side curtain airbags for the third row. By the way, I read in another website that the safety features were engineered in consultation with Volvo.
3. I traded my old 97 Discovery. I wanted a quieter ride on the highway, firmer steering and more acceleration. This is a quiet truck. (Note I said truck). Road handling is superb. 300 horsepower and 0-60 in 8 seconds. Not bad for a 6000 lb truck. To my pleasant surprise, I am average 25 to 35% better gas mileage in my LR3 over my 97 Discovery, with better acceleration and braking and handling.
4. Integrated voice controlled navigation system. (if you read all of the reviews, someone later on complains about a too loud NAV system-- my LR3 has an independent NAV voice volume and I set it to be less loud than the radio so it isn't disruptive).
5. Nice surprises -- 1. rain sensing wipers that perfectly adjust the wipe speed. I live in the Northeastern US and we get a lot of drizzle the goes from heavy to light and the wipers automatically come on and wipe at just the right speed. No more fiddling with the intermittant wiper speed. (2) Same for the light sensing headlights and the thermostat (dual zone). Automatically adjusts the fans as well.
(3) voice control over radio and nav system (4) radio volume adjusts as road noise increases or decreases - i.e. the radio gets softer if you go from the highway to crusing on a street (5) passenger front airbag deactivates if the passenger is too light (you can let a child sit there, altough I make mine sit in back. (6) both the second and third rows fold flat making one large cargo area with a flat bed.
Some people have complained about not have a rear camera (although I have the rear distance sensor that beeps). I find that actually the beeping system is very easy to get used to and you don't take your eyes off of the sides or whereever you are looking when you back up. Seems less sophisticated than the camera, but works in reality much better.
cool options- I got the cooler box (built in refrigerator) and DVD. DVD comes with wireless headsets so the kids sit in back play Nintendo and my wife and I listen to the stereo...
Love my LR3. Last point. My 16 year old nephew from Florida came and loved it. He thinks it is the cool car for his high school set......read morehide
32 out of 33 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
Most Viewed New Luxury
Research A Car
Free Dealer Price Quote
Select A Make And Model
- Up to 3 certified local dealers will contact you with a price.
- Get a hassle-free deal and guaranteed savings off MSRP.
- This service is totally FREE, with no obligation to buy.