2005 Mercury Mountaineer User Reviews
AWD Luxury 4.6L shown
- $5,435 - $7,141
- No trim specified for this review
- Decent handling for a truck, good brakes, comfortable seats/drving position, climate controls
- Gas mileage, rear end gear whine, transmission slow to respond
I have owned my 2005 Mountaineer for about a month and have put about 2,500 miles on it. I like the vehicle very much, with very few complaints. The build quality is very good, performance with the V-8 is more than adequate and I find it easy to drive for such a large vehicle. I like the brakes, and the steering is nicely weighted, though I would prefer more road feel. The ride is excellent on smooth roads and much better than I expected on rougher roads. It doesn't pitch and roll and feels stable. Visibility and interior room are great. The gas mileage is not great, though I knew that when I bought it!
On the negative side, I am beginning to hear some rear end gear whine, which I will have checked out at my first oil change. No rattles or squeaks so far. I personally find the automatic transmission annoying - it is not responsive enough to take advantage of the power provided by the engine. It is slow to downshift and generally could be better at understanding what my right foot is doing.
I have owned two European cars prior to going back to Fomoco, and the auto transmissions in the Euro cars were much more responsive. Other than that, I am happy as a clam!
1 out of 1 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
Research A Car
Free Dealer Price Quote
Select A Make And Model
- Up to 3 certified local dealers will contact you with a price.
- Get a hassle-free deal and guaranteed savings off MSRP.
- This service is totally FREE, with no obligation to buy.