2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible User Reviews
S PZEV shown
- $12,569 - $13,020
- No trim specified for this review
- Very poor reliability.
Purchased As New
Bought new. It looks fantastic and turns heads, the engine runs smoothly and although the convertible top rattles when up, it never gets annoying. The ride is what you'd expect from a small car, average enough to never bother. MPG isn't stellar with the "humane" engine choices, but could be worse.
Unfortunately the New Beetle is unbelievably badly built and designed. Unless you are comfortable with shelling out lots of money for parts and lots of blood, sweat and tears in repairs, buy another car.
Faults since new:
* Convertible top pieces mounted backwards at the factory, 2 week delay in delivery as it broke clean off at the dealership.
* "Flaps" covering the roof scaffolding when down fail to come up/down intermittently. Been to VAG for repairs but still happens.
* Drivers side window is loose and rattles, makes a horrible crunching noise when raised or lowered.
* Rear passenger window jammed in the lowered position.
* Front O2 sensor failed, Cat destroyed as a result.
* Airbag warning light, moving the seat back and forth too many times will tear apart the wires under the seat and disable all airbags.
* Central locking stopped working completely.
Other problems include a dislodged door stop, broken top release handle and dented boot lid even when gentle . While this can't be attributed to the factory, it certainly can to poor quality.
Many of the problems I've experienced are common faults on the Beetle.
In the end it's a lovely little car, it looks cute and you can feel the car smiling as you drive along - but it will cost you a fortune in repairs and maintenance. Don't think it wont happen to you - the poor quality will surface in time even with only occasional use.
3 out of 11 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
Most Viewed New Convertibles
Research A Car
Free Dealer Price Quote
Select A Make And Model
- Up to 3 certified local dealers will contact you with a price.
- Get a hassle-free deal and guaranteed savings off MSRP.
- This service is totally FREE, with no obligation to buy.
Auto Loan Rates
Volkswagen News & Articles
Volkswagen Beetle R Concept pictures
View a Full GalleryRead Full Review
Volkswagen Bus Funds Start-Up
How Specialized grew to a multi-million dollar bicycle company.Read Full Review
Volkswagen GTD Heading Stateside in 2015
The Volkswagen GTI has always been huge hit here in the US. A plucky little hatch with 200 horsepowe...Read Full Review
Volkswagen North America boss Browning steps down
In a rather sudden move, Volkswagen has announced that, effective immediately, Michael Horn is repla...Read Full Review
- More Volkswagen News & Articles