2007 Volkswagen New GTI
There are 15 user reviews for the 2.0T Sedan trim shown below
- Driving experience, DSG, drives like a sportscar with room for my kids
- Ride is a little rough on 18" tires; fit and finish needs work
After several years of driving BMWs, I grew tired of the repair costs after the warranty ends. I did not initially want a GTI but I did want something fun, with a hatchback, and four doors. This car delivers the goods in every way. It's fun to drive, nimble, precise, has a lot of low-end torque (great for urban driving) and looks great in black.
The only downsides are that the interior is noisy, especially due to the larger tires. There are some minor fit/finish issues, but it's a $23,400 car and you cannot expect luxury at that price level. The trunk is small and the back seats are a little cramped....read morehide
1 out of 3 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Direct Shift Gearbox is an absolute wonder; engine gives great low end grunt and high end whee!!!
- At over 7,000 miles in just over three months, the only problem is I can't stop driving it.
If you love to drive, this is the car for you. Accelleration, handling and braking are second to none. And for about 21 G, you can't touch it. And for all its performance, the GTI is comfortable, quiet, and safe, with traction control, ABS, and airbags everywhere. And the DSG is a must! You can just leave it in drive and treat it like an automatic, or you can tip it to the right into Tiptronic mode and shift 'em yourself. Best of all are the paddle shifters, which can be used in either mode. If the tranny's in drive, you can decide to paddle shift when a opportunity presents itself, and then just stop shifting when you feel like it, and in about 15 secondes, it goes back in to auto. BTW, the DSG does better MPG than the manual around town because of the quick shifts. It is the only automatic transmission I've ever recommended.
This is an absolutely great car, a total blast to drive, and a practical everyday driver. If you love to drive, and test drive one of these, you will have to have it....read morehide
3 out of 4 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- price, luxury feel, little details
I got my 6-speed pkg2 (leather, sunroof, ipod connector, but no navi) in feb and have put over 6.5k miles on it so far. Have been on one long 3k mile road trip and loved every minute of it.
Things I love:
1. the steering wheel. excellent design better than the stock circular wheels
2. features: 6-cd changer, xenon lights, rear wiper, multi function display etc
3. little things: when front wipers are on and you put the car into reverse, rear wipers kick in automatically. headlights come on automatically at night. service reminders, height adjustable drivers arm rest, hooks in the trunk for your grocery bags.. they took care of the small things
4. your knowledgeable friends will admire it. i got many compliments when i bought it (except from the honda contingent, and those who thought hatches were uncool)
5. the ride is good and tight. you feel the road and it isnt super-quiet though.
Things that bother me:
1. my sound system. recently some times the bass goes crazy. it passes after some time.
2. cruise control, high-beam and indicator are on the same lever, sometimes leading to false signals
3. leather easily scratched
4. wish there was more storage space in the front
1. wish there was a "sunroof open" indicator like a door-open indicator. every time it rains my heart jumps.
2. bluetooth - acura tsx has this (pricey?)
3. trip counter-2 resets itself after a 2-hour rest. wish trip2 was manual reset too.
mileage: i got 31-32 on highways, get about 24 in the city with a 5-mile busy drive to work.
The car does feel a little bulky, but its justified given its features and the 200 hp/200 lb-ft is adequate.
over-all, i think this car is a good bargain for its price...read morehide
5 out of 5 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Great value, safety and fun for a "family sports car", fits 2 kids seat in back comfortably
- The red is ugly...what else can I say?
I drive an Audi A6 4.2 and have almost as much fun in my wife's new GTI. Cornering or lane changing on the highway at over 80mph does not feel as stable as the bigger sedan I am used to. Maybe I have to break in the tires a little. Nice to have a car that you don't see often on the road.
The only 3 things I would change / add to the GTI:
1. Power adjusted / memory driver seat
2. Push button / keyless start (seems silly but once you
drive with one you see what a great feature it is)
3. Little more steel / weight in the doors
Do yourself a favor - test drive one if you are considering the Jetta or any similar sized car....read morehide
3 out of 4 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Excellent quality on overall vehicle looks - interior and out
- You can definitely feel the road, the manual has too many gears, not economical
I've had my '07 gti MkV since Jan. I love to drive it, except that it's too easy to shift into 3rd when you are trying for 1st. The same with going for 5th gear and getting 3rd instead.
The ride is very bumpy and my husband says he feels like he's on a roller-coaster ride instead of a car ride while being a passenger.
Overall the interior and exterior are supreme quality. It's got a lot of pick-up and go and is fun to drive if you have some open road space. It's very easy to be doing 70 without even realizing it too. Also the gauges could use a little more zoning in on increments of fives instead of tens. (You can't differentiate between 50 and 60 - you will only know you are either at 50 or at 60 not 52 or 55 or 57, etc.)
It is however not a very practical car as far as a family car goes. It has been fun to drive, but I'm trading it for a more practical car since my oldest son will soon be old enough to drive and I don't want to pay premium insurance costs as well as premium fuel costs....read morehide
3 out of 11 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Fun to drive, Great fuel economy, Stereo is great, Handles great.
Test drove the mazdaspeed3 wagon and then I test drove the GTI 4 Door and what can i say I am now a GTI owner. The car is great and a blast to drive!!!!! Get the monster mats for it and the trunk liner.
2 out of 6 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Power,comfort,handling,DSG, features, size and value
- no power memory seats
Traded my 99 TransAm for the veedub and have not regretted it. Easily out handles my transam. Even though it only has 200 horses it feels like much more. As soon as you sit inside you can easily tell it is high quality vehicle. The DSG is easily the best transmission on the planet period. Why buy an A3 or an Audi TT when u can buy a GTI for much less. I am avg. 26 MPG. With the TransAm I was avg 11-13 miles per gallon. I decided to lease the vehicle because I know the next generation GTI will be even more amazing....read morehide
6 out of 6 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- some high end features standard like HID lights, turn signal in side mirrors
- back seat room, middle of the road exterior styling
i am coming up on the 5,000 mile service on my GTI and i must say it has been a positive experience so far..i have heard some horror stories from friends of mine who owned vw's, but mine has been good so far. this is my first vw and as soon as i took it for a test drive, i was hooked. i didnt even test drive anything else. maybe that was a bad idea, but it's THAT much a blast to drive.
Freeway driving is dangerous because before you know it, you look at your speedo and you're doing 90-100 easy. The handling is top notch. i have the 17in tires and they are fine but i plan on upgrading to some 18's...only nitpick i have really is the backseat room. i have 3 kids age 5-10 and they do ok back there except the middle seat's leg room is not the greatest...2 can fit back there no problem....read morehide
9 out of 10 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Sweet sounding engine, nimble handling, roomy interior, MP3 audio jack, xenon headlights
- Road noise from tires, premium fuel recommended, fuel cap on passenger side
I've just broken 2K miles and everything is fantastic. The steering wheel just feels perfect, the firm suspension system is really 1st rate and the engine emits this amazingly satisfying powerful growl when I hit the gas. There's minimal turbo lag and strong torque that allows easy overtaking. Sometimes I feels it's just willing me to push it harder. I can't wait to drive the Pacific Coast Highway in it.
The 6-speed manual shifter is great as well and works well with the clutch.
I got the 4 door version (more practical because I go snowboarding a lot with friends) with the standard 17" rims which I think look better and produce less road noise according to some. It's still not whisper quiet though. I think VW could have done more in the sound proofing department. But then again I'm comparing it to a Lexus IS-250AWD which is unbelievable quiet!
The seats are extremely snug and comfortable. And thank god they fixed the MK4 cup holder problem and increased the number of storage spaces. Even though I'm only 5"2 I could still find an excellent driving position from the seats and adjustable tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Other cars don't seem to do so well in this regard so I was happy that this car did.
There's plenty of room in the front and back for those long road trips and the trunk space is pretty good as well for a compact class car.
As before VW have kept the eye catching blue and red lis dashboard which I find very soothing at night. However I note that the Canadian GTI's air conditioning button is marked Econ (for economy) and you actually turn this on to turn off the air conditioning. Silly huh? Wish I'd known that 1000 miles ago!
I used to own a Mk4 VW Golf which was plagued with problems. This MkV GTI was assembled in Wolfsburg, Germany so I hope quality over the long run has improved....read morehide
10 out of 11 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
- Good handling.
- To get the leather package, I had to spend 3000 dollars for the package. And seats are not auto.
Great car. I bought the GTI 07 four door instead of the Ford Mustang 2007. I drove the mustang first, thought it was good but not great. Then I drove the GTI 07 and fell in love with it. So, thats what I bought. And Im very happy with it.
4 out of 7 people found this review helpful.Was this review helpful to you?
( What's this? )